Because I know everyone out there in internet-land is really interested in the progress of my plants… I would like to take this opportunity to announce the sprouting of my very first Mango tree. It’s a bit slimy and gross and looks like a squid, but just as any parent thinks their purple slimy fresh baby is cute… i think my mango seedling is also cute.
In case anyone is wanting to grow a mango tree of your own, here is how it’s done:
- Go to Aldi and buy a mango.
- Eat the mango and set the pit aside.
- Carefully pry open the pit with a knife or something and remove the seed.
- Place the seed in a pot, covered by about 1/4″ of cactus soil (that’s what I had and it worked…. maybe regular potting soil would work just as well?).
- Water it thoroughly and seal the pot in a large plastic bag to keep the humidity level high.
- Place a small space heater nearby to keep the soil temp above 80 degrees.
- After a week or so, it should germinate. At least mine did.
And while I’m on the topic of my plants, I will also update everyone on my indoors citrus grove. My lime tree has some mini limes starting to grow and the lemon tree has a clump of potent smelling flowers. Still nothing on the tangerine or orange.
These are limes-to-be. Right now they are covered in some really sticky substance that was left behind from the flowers. I have no idea what it is.
This lemon tree is about 2 years old and flowering for the first time.